Monday, November 2, 2009

Welcome to Kurashiki (closed Mondays)

Postponed my plan for a bike ride in the countryside today as they were calling for rain. The weather was clear in the end, but it gave me the chance to see Kurashiki, which is possibly the most photogenic locale I've been to in Japan yet. Strangely, though, almost everything is closed on Mondays -- not just museums, but shops, restaurants, everything. Which turned out to be great, because it was almost deserted and the historic area is so ultra-quaint that I'm sure on a regular day it is chockers with tourists.

Went to a yakitori place for dinner and had one of those comic movie-type incidents where it was hit home for me how limited my Japanese really is, and I had only a vague idea what I was ordering and ended up basically getting a few exquisitely presented canapes for 25 bucks. Still, it was an interesting experience, and yet another place where I was glad to have brought slip-on shoes and lots of new socks (read: without holes in the toes). Man, it seems like a person can't keep their shoes on for five minutes in this country, and don't get me started about all the different slippers to navigate (invariably five sizes smaller than my feet). Anyway, I headed off to 7-Eleven afterwards to pick up a tuna-mayo onigiri for another course.

No comments: